The world spent months excitedly waiting for Meghan Markle and Prince Harry’s first child to be born. And now that he’s finally here, it looks like they’re willing to go through anything just to get new updates on the royal baby.
Much to the chagrin of the new parents though, who have already had to deal with a highly unwanted intrusion on their privacy.
Back in January, Prince Harry and Markle became the target of a stunt by the photo agency Splash News. The agency reportedly hired a helicopter to fly over one of the couple’s country homes and take stealth photographs of the unassuming couple.
The photos then ran on a bunch of British news tabloids and Prince Harry surely wasn’t happy. In fact, he and his wife were so bothered by the act that they decided to move houses to prevent it from happening again.
In the end, though, the Duke accepted the photo agency’s apology and reparations but is still now very much on guard to keep his family’s life extra private. He also promised to give away the damages in cash he’ll receive from the agency to a charity. Meanwhile, Splash News has agreed to no longer release or publish the photos they took.
Why They Chose the Frogmore Cottage
Just last month, Prince Harry and a then-pregnant Markle decided to move out of their house at Kensington Palace into a more private place, Frogmore Cottage.
While rumors of a feud between the Sussexes and the Cambridges are said to be the main cause of the move, Prince Harry maintains that it was in preparation of baby Archie’s arrival.
Apparently, the couple just felt like the place would give them a higher level of privacy because of its rather secluded location surrounded by farmlands. They also believe that it would be harder for photographers to access the area.
The couple has been living in the home since the arrival of Archie Harrison Mountbatten-Windsor on the morning of May 6, 2019, at the Portland Hospital in London. The baby boy is currently seventh in line to the throne but for now, doesn’t hold any royal titles.
Aside from its strategic location, the Duke and Duchess have reportedly added some serious security measures to keep them and their new baby safe from the prying eyes of the press. According to some sources, they’re working on planting more plants around the cottage to further obscure an outsider’s view inside.
This is actually quite similar to the measures Prince Harry’s older brother, Prince William, took at their Kensington Palace apartment. What more, the couple reportedly would like baby Archie to be treated as a ‘private citizen’ and not a public figure since he’s further down the line of succession.
Most importantly, the new parents have said that they’re hoping to give their son a regular upbringing.